Douglas C. Bauer, MD
Director of Research, General Internal Medicine
University of California, San Francisco
550 16th St., San Francisco, CA 94158
Dr. Bauer was a member of the Planning Committee of the NIH Consensus Conference on Osteoporosis, and the Advisory Committee on Biochemical Markers of Bone Turnover of the National Osteoporosis Foundation. He continues to serve on the NOF Scientific Advisory Committee and is an ad-hoc member of the NIH Skeletal Biology, Disease and Development Study Section. Dr. Bauer serves as Chair for several NIH funded trials. Dr. Bauer is an Associate Editor for the Primer on Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, 8th Edition and serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism and Biomarker Insights. He also maintains a general medical practice at UCSF.
- Osteoporosis risk factors, diagnostic evaluation, treatment
- Thyroid dysfunction and treatment
- Epidemiologic and clinical trial methods
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Thompson DE, Nevitt MC, Bauer DC, "Randomized trial of effect of alendronate on fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures" Lancet, 348:1535-15, 1996..
- Bauer DC, Gluer CC, Cauley JA, Vogt TM, Ensrud KE, Genant HK, Black DM for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures research group. "Broadband ultrasound attenuation predicts fractures strongly and independently"
- Cummings SR, Browner WS, Bauer DC, Stone K, Ensrud K, Jamal S, Ettinger B, "Endogenous hormones and the risk of hip and vertebral fracture among older women," New Eng J Medicine, 339:733-738, 1998.
- Bauer DC, Sklarin PM, Stone KL, Black DM, Nevitt MC, Ensrud KE, Arnaud CD, Genant HK, Garnero P, Delmas PD, Lawacetz H, Cummings, SF, "Biochemical markers of bone turnover and prediction of hip bone loss in older women." Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 14(8):1404-10, 1999.
- Bauer DC, Ettinger B, Nevitt MC, Stone K, "Risk of fracture in women with low serum levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone." Annals of Internal Medicine, 134:561-568, 2001.
- Bauer DC, Mundy G, Jamal S, Black DM, Ensrud KE. "Use of HMG CoA reductase inhibitors, bone mineral density, and fracture: an analysis of three prospective studies and cumulative meta analysis." Archives of Internal Medicine, 164(2):146-52, 2004.
- Bauer DC, Black DM, Garnero P, Hochberg M, Ott S, Orloff J, Thompson DE, Ewing SK, and Delmas PD. "Change in bone turnover and hip, non-spine, and vertebral fracture in alendronate-treated women: the Fracture Intervention Trial" J Bone Miner Res, 19:1250-8, 2004
- Bauer DC, Garnero P, Bilezikian JP, Greenspan SL, Ensrud KE, Rosen CJ, Palermo L, Black DM. "Short-term changes in bone turnover markers and bone mineral density response to parathyroid hormone in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis." J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 4(91):1370-5, 2006.
- Bauer DC. "Randomized trial reporting in general endocrine journals: the good, the bad, and the ugly." J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 93(10):3733-4, 2008. PubMed PMID: 18842985
- Garnero P, Bauer DC, Mareau E, Bilezikian JP, Greenspan SL, Rosen C, Black D. "Effects of PTH and alendronate on type I collagen isomerization in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: the PaTH study." J Bone Miner Res. 23(9):1442-8, 2008. PubMed PMID: 18442311; PMCID: PMC2683159
- Bauer DC, Garnero P, Harrison SL, Cauley JA, Eastell R, Ensrud KE, Orwoll E; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Research Group. "Biochemical markers of bone turnover, hip bone loss, and fracture in older men: the MrOS study." J Bone Miner Res. 2009 Dec;24(12):2032-8. PubMed PMID: 19453262; PMCID: PMC2791517
- Schafer AL, Vittinghoff E, Ramachandran R, Mahmoudi N, Bauer DC. "Laboratory reproducibility of biochemical markers of bone turnover in clinical practice." 2010 Mar;21(3):439-45. Epub 2009 Jun 9. PubMed PMID: 19506793; PMCID: PMC2817087
- Bell KJ, Hayen A, Macaskill P, Irwig L, Craig JC, Ensrud K, Bauer DC. "Value of routine monitoring of bone mineral density after starting bisphosphonate treatment: secondary analysis of trial data." BMJ. 2009 Jun 23;338:b2266. doi: 10.1136/bmj.b2266. PubMed PMID: 19549996; PMCID: PMC Journal - In Process
- Rodondi N, den Elzen WP, Bauer DC, Cappola AR, Razvi S, Walsh JP, Asvold BO, Iervasi G, Imaizumi M, Collet TH, Bremner A, Maisonneuve P, Sgarbi JA, Khaw KT, Vanderpump MP, Newman AB, Cornuz J, Franklyn JA, Westendorp RG, Vittinghoff E, Gussekloo J; Thyroid Studies Collaboration. "Subclinical hypothyroidism and the risk of coronary heart disease and mortality." JAMA. 2010 Sep 22;304(12):1365-74. PubMed PMID: 20858880.
- Bell KJ, Hayen A, Irwig L, Hochberg MC, Ensrud KE, Cummings S, Bauer DC. "The potential value of monitoring bone turnover markers among women on alendronate." J Bone Miner Res. 2011 Sep 28. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.525. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21956772
- Gencer B, Collet TH, Virgini V, Bauer DC, Gussekloo J, Cappola AR, Nanchen D, den Elzen WP, Balmer P, Luben RN, Iacoviello M, Triggiani V, Cornuz J, Newman AB, Khaw KT, Jukema JW, Westendorp RG, Vittinghoff E, Aujesky D, Rodondi N. "Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk of heart failure events: an individual participant data analysis from six prospective cohorts." Circulation. 2012 Jul 19. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 22821943.
- Schousboe JT, Bauer DC. "Clinical use of bone turnover markers to monitor pharmacologic fracture prevention therapy." Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2012 Mar;10(1):56-63. Review. PubMed PMID: 22286411.